The field of forensic psychology has evolved in part to fulfill the increasing need for expert knowledge and opinions in the judicial system (the courts). Throughout its evolution, there have been various events and cases that have shaped and impacted forensic psychology’s role and influence in the courts. Some events have greatly impacted how evidence is used in the courts, whereas the impact and use of others is still evolving. Without groundbreaking cases and events, the court system would not have developed in to its current state in which forensic psychology plays an important role. Consequently, forensic psychology has had, and will continue to have, a great impact on the court system.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 1 in your course text Psychological Evaluations for the Courts, and focus on how psychology intersects with the court system. Consider the historical cases and events that have impacted forensic psychology in the courts.
- Review the article “The Impact of Daubert and Its Progeny on the Admissibility of Behavioral and Social Science Evidence,” and think about how the Daubert case has influenced changes in interactions between psychology and the courts.
- Review the article “Psychology and Legal Change: The Impact of a Decade,” and think about how the inclusion of forensic psychology in the courts has impacted the court system and the field of forensic psychology in the courts.
- Think about how the inclusion of forensic psychology in the courts has impacted the court system. Consider how historical contributions to psychology in the courts have impacted the field of forensic psychology.
- Select two historical cases or events that have impacted forensic psychology in the court system.
With these thoughts in mind:
By Day 4
Post a brief description of the two historical cases and/or events you selected. Then analyze and explain how each case or event has contributed to the field of forensic psychology in the courts. Finally, explain what you believe to be the impact of forensic psychology in the court system.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.