For this assignment, you will need to first read Chapter 6 in your textbook and then read over the subsection “Interactions” on page 69-77 in the ECERS-3. Once you have completed the readings, you will need to read the following lead teacher observations, compare these observations to what is considered EXCELLENT in the Interactions subscale of the ECERS-3, and write a professional development plan for the Lead Teacher. I have provided which items to compare each behavior to.
Rosa is a Lead Teacher in the 3 year old classroom at your center. She has been employed for about 11 months, and you are preparing to complete her performance evaluation. You have been observing Rosa off and on since she began working for you, and you have kept documentation on your observations. You do have some concerns about Rosa’s interactions in the classroom, but realize she is still somewhat new and still learning about working with young children and families, as well as other staff. These are some of your observations:
- When on the playground Rosa will interact with the children occasionally. Sometimes she interacts with the children positively, but usually she primarily is attending to the children when they are misbehaving, telling them to stop this or to be careful. (compare to scale on page 69)
- When observing in the classroom, you notice Rosa mainly provides large group activities, with all children doing the same activity at the same time. The activities usually contain a craft that is supposed to look a certain way, and when a child tries to do something creative or different, Rosa will instruct the child on the “right” way to finish the activity. (compare to scale on page 71).
- You notice that, during an observation, a child began to cry when her mother left. Rosa smiled kindly at the child and said “You’re fine, go play”. The child asked “Will you hold me?” and Rosa said “Your too big for that”. (compare to scale on page 73).
- While working on an art project as a large group, one child said to another “Would you like to use the pink marker? I am almost finished, and I know pink is your favorite color”. Rose smiled at the child and said “You are being a very kind friend”. (compare to scale on page 75).
- When the child gave Lucy the pink marker, Lucy smiled. Rosa said “Lucy, you look so happy. It feels good when everyone shares”. (compare to scale on page 77).
YOUR WITTEN ASSIGNMENT:
Compare each of the above observations to what is consider excellent for that item. Once you do this, you will be ready to began your writing assignment.
Either list or write in a narrative what Rosa is doing well and what areas need improvement to score in the excellent range. Write at least 1 paragraph relating each observation to the item in the Subscale. After this, recommend at least 3 professional development activities to assist Rosa in increasing her skills. Write the name of the activity and give a brief description. This could be training, education (community college course work), peer mentoring through you or other staff, having her observe another teacher demonstrating the skills needed, completion of webinars, reading of an article. Do some research. Some of these websites may be helpful:
Martin-Pitt Partnership for Children Trainings: https://mppfc.org/training/
NAEYC online training: https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pd/online-learning ;
Zero to Three Learning Center: https://www.zerotothree.org/learningcenter
Head Start ECLKC: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/teaching-practices