Culture Project Proposal
You will be engaged in a multi-module project that examines the culture and health outcomes of a minority group in the United States. This project will culminate in a 1,200-word research paper due during Module 7 and a presentation during Module 8. This project will be broken down into smaller tasks each week to help keep you focused and on track. The goal of this project is to make you aware of experiences different from your own and you are encouraged to select a group different from your own.
Step 1: Select a minority group to research. This can be an ethnic or non-ethnic minority group, such as Latino, Native American, African American, Asian, Jewish, Muslim, people with disabilities, or the LGBTQ community.
Step 2: Find four scholarly articles about your group’s history or health outcomes. It is recommended that you utilize the LIRN Library when conducting research for this project. You can access the LIRN Library in your Canvas navigation bar. You may consider the following topics:
- What is your group’s history related to prejudice and discrimination?
- What are the legal, political, and economic challenges facing this group?
- What are historical and current forms of individual and institutionalized discrimination facing this group?
- If applicable, what is your group’s immigration experience?
- What are levels of assimilation?
- What are immigration trends over time?
- What are your group’s health outcomes?
- How has prejudice and racism affected your group’s health?
- What is your group’s access to medical care and medical insurance?
- What are major illnesses affecting your group?
- What are the leading causes of death?
- What are the most pressing healthcare challenges facing your group today?
- What are best practices for health care practitioners who engage with this group?
- Verbal and nonverbal communication style
- Cultural considerations
- Beginning and end-of-life decisions
- Dietary guidelines
- How gender affects medical decision-making
Step 3: Write a proposal that discusses your minority group. In it, include:
- A 250–word essay that discusses:
- The group you selected and why you selected it
- What you are most excited to learn
- Three pieces of applicable data you found in your research