1. Sustainability is a growing demand for performance practitioners to address. Explain the role and function of evaluation in creating and demonstrating sustainability. (Keep in mind that sustainability may have two meanings – sustaining the change requested or economic and environmentally sustainable options. Remember to speak to both).
2. Choose one leadership development approach. Defend it based on learning theories that support this type of learning.
3. You have taken a position as half-time learning and development/half-time HR professional in small but rapidly growing business. The previous incumbent filled out forms, filled them, and taught an orientation class for new employees. You want to align these departments with the organization’s real needs. You do not really have time between form-filling, filling and teaching to execute a needs assessment. Identify three steps you can take to better align your work with the organization’s needs and make this function more valuable and visible.
4. The end of the fiscal year has come around. Your Chief Learning Officer has asked that you compile an evaluation of the L&D department’s efforts and recommendations for next year’s major initiatives. How will you go about this? What data will you look for and analyze? What key points will you want to make?
5. Explicit and tacit knowledge play a role in both individual learning and in collective learning. Explain how these two types of knowledge impact practitioners’ choice of interventions.
6. Recently leadership development has been fine-tuned to address transition points as leaders move from individual contributor to front-line leader (supervisor), from front-line leader to manager of front-leaders, from manager to department/division head, from department head to director (junior executive), from director to executive, from executive to senior executive. Consider the kinds of leadership development discussed in the text and the learning theories discussed. Based on that information is this move to learning focused on audience-specific situations appropriate? Why or why not? Cite examples and research.