1) After reviewing the pamphlet, made me cringe a little. Honestly, I was lost all the way up until they started mentioning the mental health parts. This pamphlet was condescending and honestly made fun of people who have disabilities. Basically saying if they are disabled then they do not know how to take care of children. So they take both the person that has the disability and the children. Also, It states it helps prevent the child from getting it too.
2) I do not believe the intent of this pamphlet was to be rude like we are reading it now. I think it was to show that they were marketing this facility in a way that was a force but in a polite way. I think the goal of it was to gain more people that had issues to clear the “diseased people”.
3) In my opinion, this pamphlet is uncalled for and not necessary. It is offense and extremely insensitive to people that have disabilities like mental health. Any facility in this generation acted like that they would get sued and or get shut down. I agree with this because that is crossing the line. Just because someone has mental health issues does not compare them to an idiot or someone that can not function having their own children. This being a law in North Carolina is bad enough. Personally, I am glad that we live in a generation like today where that would not last because that is borderline to what Hitler did to the Jewish people.
word count: 260
1. The messages imposed in the pamphlet explain and give examples of how we understanding that someone is incapable of succeeding or doing something correctly due to mental problems and yet expecting them to perform any better over the much more challenging task like parenthood. Apparently, the feebleminded reproduce and are left to care for a newborn when they are a threat to themselves personally and lack intelligence. Per the pamphlet, there are much more responsibilities to parenthood such as “a normal home” or “Intelligent care” (Winston, 1950).
2. The goal of the Betterment League was to facilitate a system in which feebleminded people would not have to undergo parenthood. Due to the substantial responsibility of caring for a child and not mentally able to, The betterment League brought about the sterilization of the Mentally defected. Sparing them the authority of parenthood while protecting children from being born to a feeble parent, what they would call saving and supporting through funds at states expense.
3. My first opinion and observation is the way they worded “improve the human race”. I don’t believe that even the best Doctor in the world could ever “Improve” the human race in some sort or biologically. Most people are born with different deficiencies even having the most healthiest ancestry background. I understand that it may sound or look wrong to allow feeble people to reproduce given their mental state and that their newborns have a high risk of contracting their defects, but it’s wrong to take any natural human right away like the reproduction of humans. We’re humans and are given that skill to reproduce. I believe that even if a feebleminded person brings a newborn to life, they’re given a sense of opportunity or hope at life. Of course, a case by case situation.
Subject: Greenhouse gases by 50% by 2030.
Synopsis: New Zealand promises to bring down its greenhouse gases by 50 percent by 2030. The original goal to cut down greenhouse gases was only 30 percent. With the celsius at 1.5 above usual levels. This is quite alarming so New Zealand decided to change its goal along with other wealthier countries. New Zealand is making changes like lowering emissions to cut down the gas emissions by enhancing new policies. Also, by 2025 New Zealand plans on making their environment carbon-neutral and zero emissions by traveling by buses to cut back on gas emissions.
In my opinion, more countries should start implementing these factors into their policies in order to maintain our plant. New Zealand is going to try to cut down the emissions which is a great start to reduce global warming. It is starting to become alarming how rapidly global warming is occurring. Everyone should start finding methods that work in their everyday life to help save our planet from being unlivable. I believe after setting this goal for the countries or for yourself can help reduce the emissions from heating up the planet. These are necessary precautions to take in order for this planet to maintain at normal levels and to not raise any more than they have. Also, It would be a good idea if these countries shared their ideas that way we can all implement them and we all can become a part of saving our planet.