Assignment 2: Diversity
One of the major changes affecting today’s organizations is diversity in the workforce. In the United States, perhaps more than in any other country, diversity has become the norm rather than the exception. This reality presents new challenges for contemporary managers. Learning new management techniques and how to apply them is paramount. The challenges become greater when organizations venture beyond their state or country’s borders. Transnational organizations work in a variety of countries and settings and produce a variety of products and services to meet the needs of their customers.
In this assignment, you will review the concluding case study: The New Frontier for Fresh Foods Supermarkets at the end of the chapter, “Managing the Diverse Workforce,” and prepare a case study analysis (approximately 3-4 pages). You will need to use additional resources in preparing your report.
- Investigate and analyze the company’s origin, history, corporate structure and growth.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses within the company in reference to their diversity initiatives
- Identify opportunities and threats within the company’s external environment in reference to their diversity initiatives
- What steps can Vivian Noble take to recruit and develop her new workforce?
- What other ways can Noble help her company reach out to the community?
- How will Fresh Foods Supermarkets as a whole benefit from successfully moving into this new region of the country?