After completing this chapter you will be able to:
- Learn what sociology encompasses.
- Learn that we construct society through our own actions.
- Understand the key components of the sociological imagination.
- Consider the theoretical issues that frame the study of sociology.
- Name the different types of questions sociologists address.
- Understand how sociology is similar to and different from the natural sciences.
- Differentiate between causation and correlation.
- Familiarize yourself with research methods.
Read: Chapters 1 and 2
Which of the three major theoretical perspectives do you think best explains social problems? What are the benefits of using this perspective when explaining a social phenomenon (select only one) such as abortion, terrorism, crime rate, divorce, same-sex marriage, poverty, hate groups, sentencing disparity, or some other social problem that interests you?
Your response should be between 150 and 250 words. Include in your response a reference to material from the text and material from one additional outside source. Remember to follow APA guidelines. This assignment is worth 10 points.
Term Paper Tip:
Begin thinking about a topic for the term paper. This paper is due the last day of class. The term paper should range from 4 to 6 double-spaced pages, not including the title and reference pages. To complete the assignment students must use information from a minimum of five sources/references. See Syllabus for details.
Eliteprofessionalwriters.com is an international company that helps freelancers find the work they need while giving our clients the best choice of people to finish their projects. Our goal is simple – to match skilled writers with people who need the best on the market.
San Francisco, California. USA