Assignment 1 : Assessing Intercultural Effectiveness
Being able to clearly identify and describe your goal, and knowing where you are starting from in relation to it to begin is instrumental to achieving your goal. Assessments and process models help us do that. With respect to being an interculturally competent leader, there are a number of assessment tools and process models one can use to take advantage of different perspectives on global leadership. Some assessments focus on global knowledge, some on the required skill sets, and others on less concrete aspects such as global mindset. The available assessments vary widely in terms of the aspect of global leadership that they measure, their intended purposes, and their reliability and validity. In this module, you will investigate the range of assessments and their relative applicability.
There are also a wide range of process models. The Mapping, Bridging, Integrating (MBI) model offers one example of how to address cultural and contextual differences in multicultural teams.
Review the following:
- Mendenhall, M. E., Bird, A., Stevens, M. J., & Oddou, G. (2010). Defining the content domain of intercultural competence for global leaders. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 25(8), 810–828.
Respond to the following:
- In addition to the Intercultural Effectiveness Scale (IES) described in the Mendenhall article, research at least one other assessment tool and analyze its value. Consider the following questions in your assessment:
- What do the assessment tools measure?
- Are they reliable and valid?
- Where and how might these assessment tools (the IES and the one you select) be used most effectively?
Give reasons in support of your responses. Be sure to cite any relevant resources.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail; include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style; and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
By Tuesday, March 15, 2016, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area.
Assignment 2: Assessing the Context Report—Part 2
In this module, you explored models and tools used to assess the internal context of an organization. Both leadership and intercultural assessments are valuable for a global leadership development (GLD) process. Since this course focuses on the special capacities that are needed when leading across areas of diversity, you will pay particular attention to intercultural or global leader assessments. For this assignment, you will review a case study and write a 3–4-page report assessing a company’s needs with respect to GLD.
Using the University online library resources and the Internet for research, select two (2) recent, scholarly articles and two (2) assessment tools for use in this assignment.
Part 1: Pre-Reading
- Read and analyze the following case study:
- Abdullah, Z. (2012). Leadership and change management: A case study of Pemancar. Asian Case Research Journal. 16(1), 115–132.
- Identify and utilize two additional scholarly articles regarding assessments and process models, and at least two assessment tools of interest (at least 4 sources in total) when writing the report below. You may also want to visit the websites of any assessment tools you find of interest.
Part 2: Report
Cover the following in your report:
- Explain the role of assessments in evaluating a company’s needs with respect to global leadership development. Select and analyze at least two specific assessment tools (one individual and one group) that you would recommend. Be sure to consider validity and reliability. Explain how and why each would be used.
- Consider how Pemancar might want to use these two assessments in their GLD efforts. Explain your recommendations and support them with scholarly resources.
- Analyze how the MBI process could be used in this case to enhance their understanding of the context and cultural factors present. Make a recommendation for how, with whom, and for what purpose the MBI could be used. Don’t forget to explain the MBI process in your analysis.
Keep in mind that GL assessment tools and process models can be utilized for addressing both international and domestic diversity.
You may find it especially useful to take the IES assessment yourself. It will give you a better understanding of what the IES measures and how it is used. It will need to be set up by your instructor before you can take the assessment. In addition, there is a fee to take the assessment, which is not covered by your tuition fee. Please contact your instructor if you are interested.
Complete the following:
- Kozai Group. (n.d.). The Intercultural Effectiveness Scale (IES). Retrieved from http://kozaigroup.com/inventories/the-intercultural-effectiveness-scale/
Your final product will be a Microsoft Word document of approximately 3– pages. You should utilize at least four additional reliable sources (two articles and two assessment tool websites) in your research. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Submit your 3–-pages report in Word format using the APA Paper Guide. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.doc.
By Week 3, Day 7, deliver your assignment to the M3: Assignment 2 Dropbox.