Write a 1,300- to 1,800-word paper addressing the following:
- Explain the biopsychosocial risk factors associated with alcohol dependence.
- Assess the biological mechanisms that contribute to alcohol dependence and explain why some groups of people are less likely to develop it.
- Describe the phenomena of tolerance and withdrawal. In addition, explain the importance of understanding addictions.
- Describe the most successful strategies for preventing alcohol abuse and dependence. How could you apply these on someone you know?
- Assess the physical consequences of opiate and amphetamine addiction.
- Describe the major stages of smoking behavior and the major biological, psychological, and social variables that make it difficult for a smoker to abstain.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines, including at least five scholarly references.