Individual Assignment 3
For your Individual Project assignment, you will compare and contrast a work of art in a specific classification (Renaissance or Gothic) appearing on a Web site with a work of art in your textbook of the same classification. You can choose 2 Renaissance paintings, 2 Renaissance sculptures, or 2 Gothic Cathedrals to discuss (2 works in total). You may not discuss works that you have already discussed in another assignment.
- To begin your project, explore the following Web sites’ classifications for your individual essay.
- Renaissance Art: Visit the following Web sites to review Renaissance art. Links to these Web sites are also available through the unit Resources List in Course Materials.
- Gothic Cathedrals: Visit these Web sites for Gothic Cathedrals. Links to these Web sites are also available through the unit Resources List in Course Materials.
- Write the Individual Project 3pages, not including references). Using the terminology and concepts that you are learning for evaluating art, including materials used, style, meaning, and symbolism, and any other aesthetic issues, compare and contrast 1 of the selected works from the selected Web sites classification with a different work of art of the same classification from your textbook . For example, compare 2 paintings from the Renaissance period or 2 gothic cathedrals. Use the following instructions to construct your paper. For each of the works of art, describe and compare attributes of the works by following the guidelines below to structure your essay.
- What is the form of the work?
- Is it a 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional work of art?
- What materials are used?
- What techniques or processes are used to create the artwork?
- What colors are used?
- Describe the use of line, shape, texture, value, color, and balance.
- Does the work of art have subject matter?
- If so, what is literally depicted?
- Is the work of art representational, abstract, or nonobjective?
- What is the content?
- What does it mean or represent?
- What is the artist’s message?
- Is symbolism used? If so, what is the meaning?
- What is the context of the artwork?
- What is the function of the artwork?
- What traditional role of the artist is exemplified?
- What is the form of the work?
- Explain how the works of art fit into the context of the time period. Keep in mind that only art works that fit into the period of Middle Ages–Renaissance (created between 1350–1520 CE) will be accepted.
You are required to comply with APA-style format for quotations, internal citations, and a reference list. For additional information and resources on APA, visit the APA section of the Library, available under “Library Features.”
ArtLex. (n.d.). ArtLex on the earlier Renaissance art. Retrieved fromhttp://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/r/renaissance.earlier.html
ArtLex. (n.d.). ArtLex on the later Renaissance art. Retrieved fromhttp://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/r/renaissance.later.html
Chartres Cathedral. (n.d.). Retrieved from the Great Buildings Web site:http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Chartres_Cathedral.html
Earthlore Explorations. (n.d.). Structural designs of Gothic churches and cathedrals. Retrieved from the Elore Web site: http://www.elore.com/Gothic/Glossary/structure.htm
Howe, J. (1997). High Gothic architecture. Retrieved from the Boston College Web site:http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/arch/high_gothic.html
Vatican Museums. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html
For information on Macintosh Word shortcuts, click here.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials. Please refer to the following multimedia course material(s):