Being able to communicate your thoughts and ideas successfully—both academically and professionally—requires practice and style. It is common for writers to draft, redraft, and call on tutors or style guides for assistance. Throughout your program experience, you will be encouraged to find your academic and professional writing voice. You will be guided to draft, redraft, and call upon resources that support your writing growth. Although opinions are a beginning to any analysis, to convince your audience that your perspective has merit, you will need to support your thoughts with evidence and examples that strengthen and validate your perspective. Three common resources that are used in higher education and professional arenas to ensure consistency and accuracy are the use of a library, a style format to acknowledge your sources, and access to learning resources. This assignment will enable you to practice with all 3 elements.
Although the process of writing at the academic level is important, identifying a connection with the topic is also critical. Finding a personal interest within your topic, regardless of what class you are taking, will motivate you to find out more, to write with excitement, and encourage you to share what you have discovered with your audience. In addition to the writing process, this assignment will also provide an opportunity for you to find connections and elements of motivation when writing.
Note: To complete this unit’s individual assignment, you must participate in a UNIV103 Live Library Tour.
Select 1 individual of interest to you from the following list:
- Alice Walker
- Helen Keller
- Shaquille O’Neal
- Natalie Portman
- Warren Buffett
- Hillary Clinton
- John McCain
- George W. Bush
- Barack Obama
- Colin Powell
- Peyton Manning
- Oprah Winfrey
- Donald Trump
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- Condoleezza Rice
- J.K. Rowling
- Julia Child
- Denzel Washington
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Booker T. Washington
Using the AIU Library, locate a source(s) and read about your selected individual to find out more about him or her.
Be sure to address the following:
- The reason for your selection of the individual
- The obstacles the individual overcame to achieve success
- The importance of education to the individual
- Tips and inspirational ideas from the individual that you can apply to your educational and professional success
- How learning more about the individual impacted your motivation to succeed
How to format a paper:
• Using Microsoft Word, write a 5-paragraph essay about your selected individual that discusses the points above
• Use at least 1 quote and 1 paraphrase from your AIU Library-located source(s)
• Use citations and aligned references
• Be sure your paper is typed in a 12-point, Times New Roman font
• Use paragraph indention
• Use 1-inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right)
• Use correct grammar, punctuation, style, logical transitions between ideas, and length requirements
• Use proper acknowledgement of sources
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
If you are planning to use a repurposed or reused assignment, please let your instructor know about it. If an instructor is not made aware of work being repurposed or reused, an instructor will treat the assignment as a plagiarized task and reserves the right to post an F grade and submit a task for review to Administration until proof of originality is provided. Click here for more information.
Click here if you need to watch a tutorial on submitting Individual Project files.
Individual selected from this list, at least 1 source located from the AIUO Library, 1 paraphrase and 1 quote used, and properly cited and referenced
Paper reflects content mastery of the selected individual in the areas of obstacles, educational perceptions, motivation, and the student makes a personal connection
Following of assignment directions, including 5 paragraph elements present, grammar, punctuation, style, logical transitions between ideas, length requirements, and acknowledgment of sources