Cost, Quality, and Access in the U.S. Health Care Delivery System
The U.S. health care delivery system is often described as a kaleidoscope, puzzle, or patchwork quilt to emphasize that health care delivery in this country involves multiple, loosely coordinated components, and does not function through one integrated system. The organization and structure of this “system” have a tremendous impact on the delivery of services. As such, health care professionals, consumers, advocates, and policy makers face tough choices with regard to health care costs, quality, and access.
Review the information in the Learning Resources, and think about how the structure and organization of the U.S. health care system affect delivery of services. Also think about the interrelationships between and among health care costs, quality, and access in this country. Bring to mind a specific example that illustrates potential problems, concerns, or barriers using the following questions as a guide:
- How could current and future efforts to contain costs affect quality and access?
- How might measures to ensure the provision of high-quality care influence costs and accessibility?
- How could efforts to promote universal access to care impact cost and quality?
Post a response to the following:
- Describe a specific situation or issue that illustrates problems, concerns, or barriers that involve decisions related to cost, quality, and access.
- Briefly explain how the structure and organization of the U.S. health care delivery system bring about or impact this type of situation or issue.
- Describe the impact the Affordable Care Act may have on cost, quality, and access.
- If you are an international student and you are more familiar with a health system in another country, you may describe cost, quality, and access in your country.
Note: Formulate this Discussion posting as one cohesive response that integrates information related to the bullet points above.
HOW TO FORMAT
- Please single space your information,
- space between your paragraphs,
- USE HEADINGSthat describe the assignment topics.
- Your information should be a minimum of 350 words.
- References and citations are needed in your main discussion. MINIMUM 2 REFERENCES.
- RESPONSES should be substantive -More than one substantive response will receive a higher grade.
- GRADING SCALE 1) Responsiveness to Discussion Question, 2) Content, 3) Quality of Writing, 4) Turnitin score should be 10% or less, MORE THAN 10%, ASSIGNMENT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR GRADING.