I’m stuck on a Sociology question and need an explanation.
Please summarize the ethical issues in this case and discuss how you might respond to the ethical dilemma.
- Ethical Dilemma Case: You are working with Ella and her family. The family has sought help due to Ella’s “bad attitude” and recent school failure. Ella is 15 y/o and in an individual session, she reveals to you that she uses cannabis several times per week and drinks nearly every weekend with friends. Ella tells you that she is concerned about how much she is using. What is your ethical responsibility? How would you approach this with Ella and the family?
400 Words APA format
Wormer, K. & Davis, D. (2018). Addiction treatment: a strengths perspective. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning. ISBN-13: 978-1305943308
- Gillette, R. Substance Abuse, Codependency, & Family Systems Across Generations: The Bowen System and the Alcoholic/Addict Family. Powerpoint, 62 slides.
- Smith, D.C. & Hall, J.A. (2008). Strengths-oriented family therapy for adolescents with substance abuse problems. Social Work, 53(2), 185-188.
- Moe, J., Johnson, J. L., & Wade, W. (2007). Resilience in children of substance users: In their own words. Substance Use & Misuse, 42(2-3), 381-398.
- Strine, T. W., Dube, S. R., Edwards, V. J., Prehn, A. W., Rasmussen, S., Wagenfeld, M.. . Croft, J. B. (2012). Associations between adverse childhood experiences, psychological distress, and adult alcohol problems. American Journal of Health Behavior, 36(3), 408-423.
- Conners, N. A., Bradley, R. H., Whiteside Mansell, L., Liu, J. Y., Roberts, T. J., Burgdorf, K., & Herrell, J. M. (2004). Children of mothers with serious substance abuse problems: An accumulation of risks. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 30(1), 85-100.
- NIH Article: Lander, L., Howsare, J., & Byrne, M. (2013). The Impact of Substance Use Disorders on Families and Children: From Theory to Practice. Social Work in Public Health, 28(0), 194–205.
- Fletcher, K. & MacIntosh, H. (2018). Emotionally-focused therapy in the context of addictions: a case study. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families, 26(3), 330-340.
- Dawn Farm Education Series: Addiction and Families Video (Time 1 hr, 1 min) – Transcript
- SAMHSA Material: Developing a Coordinated Response to Families Affected by Substance Use Disorders (Time 1 h 12:10 mins, CC available)