Can you help me understand this Literature question?
The Importance of Being Earnest
- Discuss how irony helped a character in the play The Importance of Being Earnest. How does the medium of theater work to propel this concept?
You should work on answering the question as related to the play. How you answer the initial question in the introduction will help you to develop your thesis. There is no need to include a summary of the play, as your instructor has read the stories; instead focus on writing a reader-response (Links to an external site.) essay, or choose a literary theory for the basis of your analysis.
For each main point that you select, support that point with quotes from the play, and then share your analysis of how and why the main point and evidence/quotes/examples fit together.
Your writing should use one of the traditions of critical literary theory. (Links to an external site.) Use third-person point of view.
For a successful critical thinking assignment, you must do the following:
- Have a strong thesis statement (Links to an external site.)that you craft after constructing your evidence-based paragraphs (Links to an external site.).
- Use specific textual support from the text in the body of your paper.
- Apply literary terms and theory to provide analysis and rationale for your assertions.
- Include quotations with your close readings. This is important so you can work to analyze the author’s words and is an essential part of literary analysis.
- Proofread for errors in spelling, grammar, and writing mechanics. Vary sentence structure and sentence length to add interest.
- Should be 2-3 pages in length (not counting the title page and references page)
- Minimum of two scholarly references.