I need support with this Psychology question so I can learn better.
You have finally arrived! You are in your last class of your bachelor’s program, i.e., the Applied Behavior Analysis Capstone! It has been a long journey and you are excited to demonstrate your skills in applied behavior analysis (ABA)!
Your final project in your course is to develop a video! This should be fun! For this week’s Discussion Board primary post, write your script for the video covering the following topics:
- Explain positive and negative punishment and provide a scenario illustrating each procedure.
- Discuss the two types of timeout procedures and provide an example of each.
- Two incredible examples of applying behavior analysis to babies identified as “colicky” and “failure to thrive” were discussed in your unit reading assignments. Summarize the cases and discuss the approaches used to modify the behaviors and explain the contingencies leading to effective treatment.
Respond to a minimum of two peers based upon the following:
- Does the post have accurate explanations of positive and negative punishment? Do the scenarios accurately illustrate both types of punishment? If so, how do they accurately illustrate both types of punishment? If not, explain the incorrect design of your classmate’s scenario. Detail how the scenario could be modified to accurately illustrate the concepts.
- Does the post have accurate explanations of two types of timeout procedures? Do the scenarios accurately illustrate both types of timeout procedures? If so, how do they accurately illustrate both types? If not, explain the incorrect design of your classmate’s scenario. Detail how the scenario could be modified to accurately illustrate the concept(s).
- Provide an example of how a punishment procedure could be used to modify a behavior that is inferred to have a biological cause.
Reading and Resources
Read the following:
Chapter 14 in Applied Behavior Analysis (3rd edition): “Positive Punishment”
In Chapter 14, positive punishment is explained and examples of both are provided. The potential side effects of punishment are explored, as are the ethical considerations of punishment programs. Finally, factors that influence the effectiveness of punishment procedures are discussed.
Chapter 15 in Applied Behavior Analysis (3rd edition): “Negative Punishment”
Chapter 15 examines negative punishment, or Type II punishment. Several common negative punishment strategies are explored and guidelines for their use are presented.
Read the following journal articles:
Sajwaj, T., Libet, J., & Agras, S. (1974). Lemon-juice therapy: The control of life-threatening rumination in a six-month-old infant. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 7, 557-563.
Larson, K., & Ayllon, T. (1990). The effects of contingent music and differential reinforcement on infantile colic. Behavior Research and Therapy, 28, 119-125.
Cooper, J. O., Heron, T. E., Heward, W. L. Applied Behavior Analysis.