I’m trying to learn for my Nursing class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
Your nursing leader has asked you to provide her with information regarding the legislation on California’s nursing union negotiated staffing ratios. You will prepare a policy briefing document that details the process and outcome associated with this piece of legislation. Your nursing leader will use this briefing document to guide her decision on whether this is a good policy to support in your state.
Prepare a policy briefing document that:
Part One – Process of Legislation
- Explains the critical concern(s) that prompted this legislation, who proposed the issue, as well as who drafted and sponsored this legislation.
- Describes how long the process took and the steps taken from the initial idea to legislation implementation as well as the critical elements of the legislation that was passed.
Part Two – Outcome of Legislation
- Answers the following questions:
- Does the research support that mandated ratios improved nurse turnover rates?
- Does the research support that mandated ratios improved patient outcomes?
- Discusses recommendations on whether your nursing leader should support working with other nurse leaders on similar legislation.
- Examines at least two pros and two cons for your recommendation based on research.
- Provides stated ideas with professional language and attribution for credible sources with correct APA citation, spelling, and grammar in the policy briefing document.
Secondary Sources on Legislation
- Kuwata, K. (2017). Spread Too Thin: The Case for Federally Mandated Minimum Nurse-To-Patient Ratios in Hospitals. Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, 49(3), 635–659. Retrieved from https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?scope=site…
- Martin, C. J. (2015). The Effects of Nurse Staffing on Quality of Care. MEDSURG Nursing, 24(2), 4–6. Retrieved from https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?scope=site…
Primary Sources on Legislation
These are evaluations that have been conducted over time. Note that continuing evaluation is needed as patient acuity and co-morbidities increase in the hospitalized population.
- Bolton, L. B., Aydin, C. E., Donaldson, N., Brown, D. S., Sandhu, M., Fridman, M., & Aronow, H. U. (2007). Mandated Nurse Staffing Ratios in California: A Comparison of Staffing and Nursing-Sensitive Outcomes Pre- and Post- regulation. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice, 8(4), 238–250. Retrieved from https://doi-org.ezproxy.rasmussen.edu/10.1177/1527…
- California Healthcare Foundation (2009). Assessing the Impact of California’s Nurse Staffing Ratios on Hospitals and Patient Care Retrieved from https://www.chcf.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PD…
Guides & FAQs