This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a written paper and a PowerPoint presentation. You must submit both sections as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for.
www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy, for more information about HIPAA requirements. In March 2012, the HHS settled a HIPAA case with the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee (BCBST) for $1.5 million. Read more about this case at
www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/enforcement/examples/bcbstagrmnt.html. As an IT security manager at a regional health services organization, your CIO has asked for the following: an analysis of this incident, an overview of the HIPAA security requirements necessary to prevent this type of an incident, and a briefing for management on the minimum security requirements to be HIPAA complaint.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
Describe the security issues of BCBST in regard to confidentiality, integrity, availability, and privacy based on the information provided in the BCBST case.b.
Describe the HIPPA security requirement that could have prevented each security issue identified if it had been enforced.c.
Analyze the corrective actions taken by BCBST that were efficient and those that were not adequate.d.
Analyze the security issues and the HIPAA security requirements and describe the safeguards that the organization needs to implement in order to mitigate the security risks. Ensure that you describe the safeguards in terms of administrative, technical, and physical safeguards.e.
Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
Create a six to eight (6-8) slide PowerPoint presentation in which you:
Provide the following on the main body slides:
An overview of the security issues at BCBST
HIPAA security requirements that could have prevented the incident
Positive and negative corrective actions taken by BCBST
Safeguards needed to mitigate the security risks
- Include a title slide, four to six (4-6) main body slides, and a conclusion slide.
- Summarize the legal aspects of the information security triad: availability, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Use technology and information resources to research legal issues in information security.
- Write clearly and concisely about information security legal issues and topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.