Read the articles Double Duty: Schools as Community Centers and Community Collaboration to Improve Schools: Introducing a New Model from Ohio. Select one of the following position statements:
Statement 1: Schools are local institutions, central to the life of the community.
Statement 2: Schools are government agencies, controlled and directed by political interests and power.
Evaluate and discuss the selected position statement in relation to
- The issues and trends driving policy and reform
- The significance of activism
- Public confidence in education
- Accountability within the school and community
Support your writing with information from a minimum of two credible resources. One resource should provide information from a related current event or recent legislation. (250 words)
Read the article School Boards. Identify and describe the role of governing or advisory board in effective implementation and operation of a federally mandated education policy (or program), including:
- Resource management (including personnel)
- Allocation of federally appropriated funds
- Communication with the community
Support your description with information from a minimum of one credible resource. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings. (250 words)