Discussion #2: Identifying IT Infrastructures (Practicum)
Although many health care organizations use the same equipment; employ similar personnel; and have standard procedures, protocols, and processes, no two organizations will have the same information technology (IT) infrastructure. This difference among IT infrastructures is attributable to varying policy decisions, procedures, system designs, budgets, and organizational cultures. So you can be an effective nurse informaticist, it is critical that you are very familiar with the IT infrastructure at your own organization and are aware of the reasoning behind it. Being conversant on the system enables you to more effectively work within the system and to better promote the appropriate HIT tool.
In your Practicum experience, you have been familiarizing yourself with a health care organization and its IT infrastructure, as well as with how data and information are handled within the organization. For this Discussion, you provide a brief summary of your findings.
- Review your Journal notes.
- Identify the relevant features of the IT infrastructure of the organization.
- Consider the strengths and weaknesses of the IT infrastructure.
- Reflect on the current role of nursing informatics in this organization and how it could be strengthened.
By Wednesday 02/08/2017, post a minimum of 1 to 2-page in APA format and at least 2 scholarly references. Include the level one headings as numbered below:
1) A brief description of your Practicum site (without naming the site).
2) Then, describe the IT infrastructure at this site, assessing its strengths and weaknesses.
3) Explain the role of nursing informatics within this organization and how the role could be strengthened.
Note: My Practicum site is Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland (USA). Please refer to attached PDF file. You can also find out more about it on https://mdmercy.com/
You can also choose to speak on any other hospital that you are familiar with, but dont name it